LAST UPDATED: 14/04/2014
St. John's Parish
The foundation stone for St John's Church was laid in 1893.
The church was offically opened on 2 August 1896.
St. John's was the name given to the whole Sligo Church area and
this is the only church which kept the orignial Titular name "St.
John's". The church was commenced by the late Most Rev. Bishop
of Elphin, Dr.Gillooly. He was concerned at the long distances local
people had to travel to church.
The church was built in Gothic style. The builder was Mr. John
Clarence of Ballisodare. The stained glass windows were presented
Funds were liberally given by the late Peter O'Connor of Kevinsfort
House. The people of the division of the Parish and Sligo town also
Most Rev. Dr. Clancy, Bishop of Elphin at the time officated at
the opening. After the blessing, High Mass was celebrated by Rev.
Father Harte assisted by Rev. Father McManus and Rev. Father Geraghty.
The Cathedral Choir conducted by Mr. Delaney provided a selection
of music. Most Rev. Dr.Healy, Co-adjutor Bishop of Clonfert, preached
the dedication sermon.
The interior of St. John's Church was badly damaged by fire on
8 December 1993. Consequently, it was completely refurbished and
re-decorated. The original Tabernacle and Stations of the Cross
still remain. The church was re-opened at Easter, 1995. It now stands
as one of the most beautiful churches in the diocese.